Sunday, November 23, 2008

What have we done?


It’s been more than four years since our last Airstream overhaul, and we have forgotten about that exciting, yet sick feeling you get from moment to moment when you think about all that needs to be done. In a matter of minutes, we think to ourselves, “Oh, this is going to be great!” A few minutes later we think, “What in the world have we done and what were we thinking?”

All those feelings aside, we carry on. We both find ourselves standing in the doorway of our “new ‘63” and wonder where in the world we should begin our renovations. Our last Airstream was only 15 feet on the inside, very manageable, I might add. This 28-footer, seems enormous! Do you start with the leaks, the floor, or the muddy mess (from the flood last year)?

We had finally decided to start from the front and work our way to the back renovating as we go. This seemed the most logical, because we are both terrified of fixing the bathroom the most (we’ve never had a toilet, let alone a tub so big we can clean two children at a time in – as our friends have all called it, it’s a garden tub!!). Needless to say, God has a great sense of humor! He sent torrential rains for two days, to lead the way to our renovation. In one day, we could catch a gallon bucket of water from the middle vent! So much for the new floors and curtains! We need to find the leaks first! And as we talk to more people about leaks in Airstreams, this seems like a daunting job ahead.

Realizing that the vent leak is bringing in the most water, we start there. We decided to caulk around the outside of the vents first, to see if that helps. Herein starts my husband mumbling about who is going to do that, since he is too big and shaky going up a ladder. Did anyone notice that the roof is round? How do you get a straight ladder on a round roof? I knew where my husband’s mumblings were going, so I volunteered! What was I thinking? As I pull myself up there, I’m wondering if I will fall through the roof or just slip off – how embarrassing! Then I think to myself, “The things one will do for an Airstream…I guess we really are a little crazy!”

Well, I caulked around the vents and any other pipes I could reach from where I was and even changed the weather stripping on the moon roof opening. I handed down the moon roof for closer inspection and cleaning, and then it struck me why this was not a great idea to be on top of the Airstream! How was I going to get down? Slow but sure, I slid over the side of the round roof, praying my husband would be sure the ladder was there, or that he would catch me if I fall! I did make it to the ground safely, and it seems that the caulk was all it took to stop the leaks!! Next project, replacing the floor!

1 comment:

  1. You're more brave than I am. When I was considering how to work on the old one, I decided I'd move it into the shop and build a framework on wheels that would barely clear the top. That's why I put the large rollup door on the shop. As it turned out, it never got into my shop, but we're certainly proud of the restoration work you've done on it and what you're doing to your "new" one.
    Love,
    Uncle Bill and Aunt Mary

    ReplyDelete