About the fire - I guess that I never even put up on the blog that we had a fire this summer on our way to WBCCI, International Rally in Madison! We went to the Vintage Rally at Jefferson. We got both Airstreams set up and finally running. There was a problem with the electrical on the grounds. Slept our first night with not much ado. The next morning, we got up at 6am to get ready and in line for the Vintage Parade to Madison. I was in the bathroom dressing and getting ready, when my husband asked me what I was burning. I have no electrical appliances to get ready, so quickly turned off the bathroom fan and said I didn't smell anything.
Then I started to smell it! My husband started getting after me about burning something, and while we were arguing, our oldest son, "what about the battery?" Well that got my husband running! He opened the battery box (we now know why it is enclosed in a fiberglass compartment outside!) and found the battery on fire. We evacuated all the sleepy kids in their pjs and he ripped the burning battery out of the box! Fortunately, nothing else caught fire except a small section of the wiring.
As it turned out, my dh has forgotten to cap off a set of wires for the water pump on the front wall, and when he sat on the front goucho, it pinched the wire in between the goucho and the metal wall bracket, causing all the wire to burn up and started the battery on fire. He still doesn't know why the breaker never snapped, but I was thankful that no one was injured
Needless to say, my dh has since fixed the wire, there are just no switches (to my knowlege) on that bare wire that caused the fire in the first place. I'm sure he'll let you know if I need to stand corrected on that (it's behind the curtains, so you don't see it.) Thought I'd share one of almost tragedies at International!
I'd love to hear any more ideas you might have for our honey do list - please just comment on this post.