Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Maiden Voyage!!

We did it! We got the 1963 out for a camping trip in less than a year! Here we are all hitched up and ready to go! It's hard to believe that we were able to get it back out on the road again in such a short time, especially with my husband being laid up for 6 months of that!

Doesn't it look great out in the woods? We went with two of our friends and their families for the weekend of camping. Not everything is complete, but at this point, we do have more than what we ever had in the 1953 as far as amenities!
Some of the things we need to complete yet before being finished are:
  • Counter top trim
  • Grey water tank (not made yet)
  • Plumbing to the Grey water tank
  • Shower curtain
  • Door curtains
  • Loops on one of the Venetian Blinds
  • Veneer fronts of several drawers and cupboards
  • Remake medicine cabinet
  • Remake spice cabinet
  • Remake magazine rack
  • Redo table & chairs
  • Clean and buff the outer shell
  • Upholster the back of beds
  • Build bunk beds (has anyone ever done hammocks in an Airstream?)
  • Hooks & Fixtures here & there!
  • Repaint steps, hitch and back bumper
  • Install TV???
  • I'm sure there are many more I'm not thinking of!

I know it seems like a long list, but overall, I don't think most of the things are huge jobs, so it seems like we are getting closer.

3 comments:

  1. Both vehicles are looking good. What's the official color name of the Suburban? The last company Lumina we had was close to that and it was called "Lichen Green." I never did see the green in it, but liked the color.
    Is the awning off the Clipper? It looks short for the new one and resembles the old one.
    I suspect that it'd work out better to remove the laminate from the one drawer front and do all four at once to get a good color/pattern match.
    Adding 6" to the mattress sounds like a good trick, but we're sure it'd be welcome. If the kids' beds aren't in yet, where do they sleep?
    Guess you won't really need a shower curtain before the grey water plumbing is installed.
    You guys are really hooked on Aluminitis now! BTW, could you understand the link to the pictures of the Soverign in the last VAP? I played it 5 times and still didn't get it.
    Keep up the good work. Hope you can make it to LA in Setpember.
    Love,
    Uncle Bill and Aunt Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know the color name of the Suburban, but it looks like the same as the Astro. I don't think it's green though.

    We did use the awning off the Clipper. We figured some shade is better than nothing! My husband is trying to get me sew one for the Ambassador, but I don't know if I can do it on my machine - maybe I need to go shopping for a new one! (he, he! Well he gets new tools for the camper, why not me!)

    The little kids each slept with a big kid on the twin bet - we put down mats. They all agreed it was better than the floor!

    I got the shower curtain in yesturday. My husband got the cold & hot water running to both sinks, the toilet running and is now getting the tub and shower working and putting up the belly pan for good (hopefully!). We are off to an Airstream Rally this weekend in Marshfield with, just the two of us for our Anneversary!!

    I'll give more details later!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on making your maiden voyage. I still remember the one I made in my '67 Overlander several years ago.

    TomW

    ReplyDelete